Green Township, Randolph County History by E. Tucker
When the Greens and Browns came from Tennessee in March, 1833, Garringer and Boots were the only families in the township. In the spring of 1833, a company from Tennessee (see the biography of Thomas Brown and Jonathan Green) settled not far from Steubenville, on both sides of the river, which colony made a brave beginning for that township of at least nine and perhaps more families in one group.
Two miles east of Fairview; Jonathan. Joel and Julian Green lived near Stuebenville: the Browns were north of Christian Life’s property.
StrnbtHpillr. -Israel Wirt. Jonathan Green. proprietors. Location. Sections 13 and 14. own 21. Range 12; C. G. Goodrich, survevor. Flat surveyed December 24. 1830. Recorded July 28, 1840; twenty, four ‘lots. Town extinct.
It was laid out by Israel Wirt and Jonathan Green in 1840. It stands upon Sections 13 and 14. Town 21. Range 12. on the south side of the Mississinewa River, though not very near to that stream. There was once a tan yard, a store, kept by Israel Wirt, a smith shop by Julian and four or five houses. A cemetery lies near the place which is still in use and in reasonable repair. The town never did much business, nor was ever prosperous, and it has been entirely dead for more than twenty years. The place is not even a cross-roads.” but a spot where to the east and west road strikes a north and south one. Mr. Wirt, one of the proprietors, was one of the first pioneers of that region, and died in the summer of 1890, at the advanced age of about eighty years. The town was surveyed and platted December 24.1830, and recorded July 25. 1840. Though planted during the early settlement of the township, fate was against it and it had to succumb.
Thomas Brown was born in East Tennessee, and came to Randolph County. Ind., in 1832, settling in Green Township in 1833. His family were all grown and married, and all came together to the now country. They were David, Thomas and James, sons and married; Rebecca (Davis), (McCarnish). Sarah (Green), (White), Catharine (Gray). They all settled together, making up a colony in the woods. Nearly the whole connection (except the Greens) went to Iowa about 1837, leaving their places for other new-comers.
Jonathan Green was born in East Tennessee in 1792. He emigrated to Randolph County in 1832, living a year at Sampletown, and settling in Green Township in 1833. He entered three forties” and followed the vocation of farming till his death, in 1858, at the age of sixty.seven. He was the first Justice of the Peace in Green Township, and held the office sixteen years. He married Sarah Brown in East Tennessee and they had eleven children, eight of whom grew up, seven were married and six are living now. When he came Alexander Garringer and Martin Boots were the only persons residing in (he township, three miles down the river opposite Fairview. He came in March, cleared six acres and planted it in corn, having raised a crop in 1832 on White River, and, during the summer of 1834, bought a little corn and never bought another bushel of com as long as he lived. Only one house was to be found on the way to White River, Peter Hester’s. William Addington lived at Ridgeville. James Addington came on the Mississinewa after awhile. He came near being broken up at one time. The clerk of a mercantile firm at Rockingham (a town on the Mississinewa below Ridgeville, long years ago oxtinct) left some notes belonging to the firm with him as Magistrate, to be collected, with order* to pay the money to certain creditors of the firm. He did so, but the firm denied his authority and sued him for the money. The clerk had absconded, and as he could not prove his authority for the payments he had made, the rascally firm got judgment against him, and he had to refund to them $300 or $400, which in those times was a greet sum. A large company of relatives came together from Tennessee, the Brown connection, comprising some nine families, and all settled on the Mississinews. They stopped a year on White River and raised a crop, entered their land, went over to the Mississinewa and built shanties, and, in March, 1833, moved to their new homes, and settled down to live in good earnest. They had built up the “pens “ to the chimneys, with no jambs, nor back walls, nor chimney tops, and filed those things afterward.
The wolves were thick around. One day the dogs barked, and father, looking north saw two wolves near, at hand a loaded gun lay on the hooks just behind him within easy reach, but, forgetting the gun he slapped his hand and halloed at them and the villains scampered off. The hogs had to be penned up so tight that the wolves could not get at them.
Julian Green, son of Jonathan Green, was born in East Tennessee in 1828, coming with his father to Randolph in 1832, and his home has been here ever since. He is a farmer and has seven children, residing at present in Franklin Township.
Israel Wirt was born in 1796 and settled in Green Township very early, entering land in 1830 and moving in 1837. He was one of the proprietors of the little town of Steubenville which was laid out in l830 but has been extinct for more than twenty years. He was a farmer and business man, keeping a store also at Steubenville for several years. He owned a considerable body of land near that place, and built a comfortable residence there. He had a family of several children, and died at the age of eighty-four years, in August. 1880, leaving to his heirs a considerable fortune.
THOMAS GREEN, farmer, P. 0. Ridgeville, was born in Casey County, Ky. in 1820. His parents were both natives of that county. Mr. Green has passed the greater portion of his life in the township in which he now resides, having located hereabout forty-seven years ago. He was married in 1853, to Minerva McCracken a native of Licking County, Ohio, born in 1833. They are the parents of eight children, of whom four are now living, viz: William H-. Frances W., Emily V. K. and Mary R. Mr. Green engaged in the pursuit of farming. He has 194 acres of fine land in Green Township. Section 18. He is a member of the M. P. Church as is also his wife. In politics, he is a Democrat. He had four brothers in the Union Army; Jonathan was a member of the Eighty-fourth Indiana Regiment: Granville was in the Thirty Sixth Indiana Regiment-, but was discharged on account of disability. James enlisted for three years, but died within six months after entering the service. Joshua entered the Eighty-fourth Indiana Regiment in 1854, and served until the close of the war.